Saturday, March 25, 2017

Book Cover Design (Part 2) - The Alchemist


The book cover I chose to redesign is The Alchemist. For the front cover, I decided to go for a white background.  The reason for this is that it is different from the other designs I have seen for this book. The story is set in Egypt, so I decided to use an image of the Pyramids. I used Photoshop to alter the image. This was done by selecting the image and then going to image, adjustment and then posterize. I really like the effect this adjustment gave the photo. I think it is quite striking against the white background.
For the back cover, I chose an image of the sun, as it is a sign in Alchemy. I used it as the background and changed it by adjusting the brightness and contrast. I then added the description paragraph and the publishers logo and barcode.

Overall, I really liked this assignment. I have learned to use so many different tools on Photoshop. I have also been able to change my way of thinking, regarding book covers. My trips to the bookstore will be forever changed. Now every time I look at a book cover, I will think of a way to redesign it.   





No comments:

Post a Comment